Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Projects Gone Wrong: Deck Stairs

"I kneeled and combed the grass, asking myself: Why do they not make orange nails?"

"I should be finished before the storm," I told Lisa. "It'll be a quick project."
It wasn't and yet that was not the problem. The problem was the project itself: stairs leading from my deck to my lawn. In the end, they were too steep and too shallow.
Walking down them, I had visions of my toddler missing a step and face-planting onto the lawn. I saw my mother-in-law holding my newborn son and as they took what should have been a casual few steps onto the soft green grass, she trips and ... You get it.
I needed to tear down the steps and start again. It hurt. With slumped shoulders I sulked back into the house and accepted defeat. Tomorrow I would go to The Home Depot.

In Search of  Lost Nails

The day had started bad. As I worked at prying an old nail from the deck, the nail snapped and shot into the grass. I knew time was of the essence. If you do not find a dropped nail within the first 10 seconds of dropping it, you never will. It's true.
Because my eyes had failed to track the nail's trajectory, I had no idea where it landed. My son walks this path everyday and he hates wearing shoes. The word tetanus flashed red in my brain. I needed to find the nail.
I kneeled and combed the grass with my fingers, asking myself: Why do they not make orange nails? (Do they?) When this initial slightly-panicked search failed, I stepped back, took a breath and decided to take a new approach.
I would mimic the way searches are conducted on cop shows. I set up my perimeter: five feet out and five feet across. Then I imagined a grid and began to longitudinally rake my fingertips across the ground. I scanned the invisible grid line by line, finding nothing, not even a bug or worm. Just grass. Just dirt. And a broken piece of plastic.
By now I was 10 minutes in and my eyes began to zoom out and the green grass began to swish together like in a Van Gogh painting. I forced my eyes to focus. Attend to the details. Notice the water-drop on the tip of a grass blade. Look closely.
I worked it latitudinal. And nothing.
I stood up . A bug net wrapped my head. Tiny gnats had been dive-bombing my eyeballs and, like a Venus flytrap, my lashes shut on them, one after another. After having washed a few out with my tears, I resorted to the bug-net. Sweat had soaked the screen, sticking it to my face as the gnats climbed up and down trying to get at my eyeballs. I squinted at the grass.
"Shit."
I tried looking over the whole area in one long sweep, hoping to see a flicker of silver in the green; then I could move on and start the stairs.
Nothing.
My son would have to wear shoes indefinitely.

A Stairway to Nowhere

Slightly baffled and very sweaty, I soldier on.

I should have known that the steps would not be deep enough. When I pulled off the old steps, I noticed whoever built it had used a wider board than I had. Yet, I didn't want to buy new wood. I had a bunch in my woodpile. I soldiered on.
And you know how the story ends.
I don't want to suffer you with some cliche lesson I learned. There's a few in there and if you know what they are, please post.
I have yet to tear down the stairs and I have not found the nail.
So it goes.

Postscript: My son--who's a toddler--took the above photo. I'm impressed.

5 comments:

  1. What a great story of real life stuff, but where the heck is that nail? And I'm sorry about your stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little man is some photographer. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is quite the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried trawling with a small magnet tied to a string? That's how we retrieved old nails out of our lawn. (We had been removing nails from scrap wood we wished to save for firewood; lots of nails fell onto the lawn during that project.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip, Sandy. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete