Monday, July 28, 2014

Trials and Tribulations of Building a Bookshelf, Told Through Pictures

Lisa and I were in desperate need for a place to store books …


... and more books


… and toys.



So I began work on a bookcase with a toy bin, and started by cutting the shelves.



But I was soon stumped. I had wanted to make dado joints,



but I had to create a guide for the router. The guide keeps the router on track and from running amok. I searched YouTube for help, but most videos suggested using several vices and I only had one.



I tried a "traditional" method 





but the stones did not work


I cursed and then whispered: "I can't. I just can’t do it." This is the moment of crisis: When you realize that your ambition is greater than your knowledge and skills. As an aspiring writer, this happens to me all the time and it hurts.

I went inside and returned to YouTube to glean some knowledge and skills, but found nothing.

Then, I had an idea. (I love ideas.) I walked back outside, feeling inspired by a plan.

I grabbed a piece of plywood that was longer than the width of the two sides where I needed to cut the dado joints, and I screwed the plywood over the sides and into the table underneath, securing down the sides and creating a router guide.




And it worked. Riddle solved; knowledge and skills possessed (provided?). I cut the dado joints,



squirted wood glue in the grooves,



secured the shelves,



nailed one by four planks across the back




sanded and sealed with polyurethane



and the job was finished and books and toys had a new home.



Oftentimes, learning a new skill is a process of frustration and dread and this job was no exception. If you'd like to avoid the frustration and dread part, feel free to send me a message for more detailed instructions on how to build this bookcase. I would love to share with you.






2 comments:

  1. Nice! Next time I have to put together furniture I got from IKEA I'm calling you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKEA's great, but putting together their furniture, not so much.

      Delete